I purchased 10 economy lipstick tubes from TKB trading recently, when they arrived I had no idea how I could fill them! Unlike lip balm tubes, these tubes have two holes at the bottom, so if you filled them with melted lipstick it would leak through. This is an amazing hack that doesn’t require a couple hundred dollar lipstick mold.
This method doesn’t give a sophisticated shape to the product, but it is perfect for projects like foundation, contour, and highlighter sticks.
TKB carries so many different types of lipstick tubes and some of them would look perfect for cream face makeup sticks. You could also just diagonally cut the stick to make it an angled simple lipstick shape.
Since all lip balm tubes and lipstick tubes can be slightly different I have included some extra steps below if your lip balm tube is not perfectly fit for your lipstick tube.
(I would provide a link for a good size lip balm tube for the TKB tubes but the ones I used have changed their size to a slightly wider tube so I have to reuse my older model tubes.This is a good thing though! It allowed me to make a fool proof method for all sizes)
Okay here is how I did it!
You will need:
1 lip balm tube
1 lipstick tube
1 reasonable sharp knife
Your ingredients for the product in a measuring cup/beaker that has a spout
- Melt your mixture over a makeshift double boiler over medium to low heat.
- Screw the lip balm tube all the way down.
- Pour the mixture into the lip balm tube.
- When the mixture has solidified, screw the stick all the way up.
- Screw the lipstick tube all the way up
- Cut the stick off at the base and place it into the lipstick tube. Press gently to secure it in place. Note: The lip balm tube may be a bit too wide due to the slight variance in size. If this is the case you may need to trim down the circumference of the base of the stick before placing it into the lipstick tube. Or you could just press it in and wipe off the excess. Then as you screw it down the lipstick tube will do the work for you and trim off the further excess and you should be good.
- Screw the lipstick tube all the way down, and voila! That’s it :). Enjoy!