This setting powder is perfect for setting makeup and absorbing shine! Pair this with your liquid/cream foundation for a very long lasting and matte look. Although it is a white powder in the container, it goes on completely colorless.
This recipe consists of calcium carbonate and kaolin clay, both are oil absorbers but calcium carbonate is definitely stronger. Sericite mica helps make the face appear a smidgen more flawless with its light dispersing properties. Cornstarch is a filler ingredient that also helps set the makeup.
The optional ingredient is silica microspheres. This ingredient is super absorbent and it adds fluidity to the texture of your product. Silica microspheres are definitely quite a bit more pricey than the other ingredients in this recipe so you can leave it out, your setting powder will still set like it should. Silica microspheres are just a nice addition if you have it.
1 and 3/4 tsp cornstarch
2 tsp white kaolin clay
1/4 tsp sericite mica
1/4-3/4 tsp calcium carbonate (this powder will absorb more shine if you add more calcium carbonate)
1/4 tsp silica microspheres (Optional)
6 drops jojoba oil
4 drops Vitamin e oil
- Sandwich a piece of plastic wrap between the lid and the grinder, to help the grinder blend the powders more efficiently.
- Blend the kaolin clay, starch, sericite mica, calcium carbonate together in the coffee grinder.
- Scatter drops of jojoba oil and vitamin e oil over the powder and then blend until well combined.
- If you have it, add your silica microspheres and then stir it in with a spoon.
- Scoop into a container and enjoy your Homemade Loose Setting Powder! Dust this over your applied makeup to use.